Tuesday, June 9, 2009

For the Dogs

Poor Teeny was a bundle of excess energy this past weekend, in part because I wasn't feeling well and wasn't able to play with him as much as I usually do. Thankfully, I was on the mend by Sunday and finally able to take him outside to play. We had the most unexpectedly fun experience that I can't wait to do it again!

Rather than walking to the little park with the play equipment, just down the road from us, we walked (in Teeny's case, ran) to the park way about six blocks in the other direction. This is a wooded and scenic area, with a few open fields sprinkled throughout it. We brought along bubbles and went to the nearest open field on the park way.

Blowing bubbles with Teeny is really funny, because he's torn between wanting to blow them (a skill hasn't quite mastered yet) and chase/pop them. He got to do a lot of both on Sunday. To add to the fun, various folks from around the neighborhood started showing up in the same field with their dogs. Turns out that open fields are as good for exercising dogs as they are for exercising little kids! One dog in particular really dug the bubbles, and would leap several feet into the air to catch them in her mouth. There had to have been at least six dogs there running and playing with the bubbles with Teeny. He was in heaven!

After staying well past dinner time to play with the dogs and the bubbles, I finally convinced Teeny that it was time to go home. He wasn't happy about it, but his hunger overruled his objections! He then ran most of the way home, taking the time to run up the steps from the sidewalk to most of the neighbors' houses. The kid got a bigger workout that day than I used to when I played high school volleyball!

Teeny's been asking to go back to the park with the dogs. I can't wait to go again, we had such a blast. It's a rare thing for such spontaneous fun to occur, but I wholeheartedly embrace it. It reminds me why I love being a mom so much!

No comments: